Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Ice Skating... It Does a Body Good!

You know that feeling you get when you do something that you used to do as a kid, something that is a simple pleasure and brings you joy, simply because it connects you with a positive memory? Well, I got to go ice skating today, and it was glorious!

Thankfully it was beautiful weather today - clear blue skies, and the sun was out ALL day! (side note: I really think I am solar-powered, as my soul is so much happier when the sun shines). My coworker and I were assigned to take a group of 30 students to this tiny outdoor holiday skating rink (which is now in the place of the beautiful old carousel in the center of town). Initially, I thought I would just take pictures, as it looked much too crowded and chaotic for me, but once I got everyone situated, I just couldn't resist the lure of the ice... it was calling my name.  So I strapped on a pair of skates and took to the ice.  It was exhilarating and freeing!

I have been ice skating since I was about 8 years old. We had a large pond in front of our house that would freeze over every winter. One year my parents bought me a pair of skates for Christmas, and I immediately took to the ice.  My brother and I would shovel the snow to clear the pond, and then I would spend hours out there, until my hands and feet were completely frozen.

When we moved away from Montana, the skating stopped for several years, but it reentered my life when I moved to Seattle just out of high school. I was at the local skating rink every chance I got, which was at least three times a week.  I kept this up for a few years, and then life happened and my priorities changed.  I haven't been on the ice regularly since then, but it seems that at critical points on my life journey I have returned to the ice, and each time that is where I find freedom and contentment.  My feet grow wings, my body feels light, and my heart soars.

And so today, on this tiny rink, crowded with people, I breathed deeply and let my feet glide and my heart soar. Laughter bubbled up inside and I couldn't contain the grin the burst across my face. My thoughts were overflowing with thankfulness - I was ice skating outside in FRANCE! To wrap up a perfectly delightful afternoon, I stopped at the crêpe stand and had a hot, fresh chocolate crêpe for the walk home.

When I got home I realized that I did not take a single picture today, but hopefully I'll get to go back and I'll try to capture the essence of the experience to share with you.

2 comments:

  1. This made me smile! I know that feeling. And I'm definitely solar-powered too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No photo necessary. I imagined it all in my mind! What a wonderful post. (And, did you EVER think I would be the one to tell you that you didn't need to take a picture?!)

    ReplyDelete